Hello my frosted fairies! It feels like I haven’t written a baking post for quite some time. As of late, I’ve been stifled for baking inspiration. I had been planning to create a ‘Birthday Wishes’ collage post but couldn’t as the Polyvore website has closed down! (*sobs*) Consequently, I was worried I wouldn’t have a surge of inspiration any time soon.
Nevertheless, a wave of ideas came over me on Tuesday evening as I was watching Nancy Drew (2007), a film I used to love when I was younger. After re-watching the film, I not only wanted to pick up a sleuth kit and a pair of penny loafers but I wanted to find a recipe to re-create her infamous lemon bars ~ the perfect fuel for sleuthing!
The bars themselves are a cross between a cake and a cookie; with a golden biscuit at the bottom and a layer of zesty, lemon curd over top! I used this recipe and modified it ever so slightly. They are so simple and easy to make! and, as an added bonus, they go perfectly with a cup of tea.
Nancy is known to use her baked goods as a bribery tool. So, if you’re in need of a fix to get yourself on someones good side, these should do the trick!
For the base:
200g plain flour
75g icing sugar
175g butter (softened)
For the lemon filling:
300g caster sugar
5-6 tbsps plain flour
8 tbsps lemon juice
5 tbps icing sugar for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C and grease and line a 23x33cm baking tin.
- Weigh and then combine all of the base ingredients
- Roll out the dough with a rolling-pin and pat the dough into a prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven, until slightly golden.
- While the crust is baking, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, flour and lemon juice until frothy. Pour this lemon mixture over the hot base.
- Return to the pre-heated oven for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust the top with icing sugar and cut into squares.
Here are a few more pictures of the end result! ♡
I hope you’re having a lovely Sunday evening so far. If you decide to try out this recipe, please remember to send me a picture of your creations (my Instagram and Twitter accounts are @xxsophiebeth) 🌸🍋🍰💛
I’m sending lots of love to you all and I hope you have a happy week filled with honey cookies, fresh blooms and white chocolate buttons! 🍯🎀🐣