“In the very middle of the court was a table, with a large dish of tarts upon it: they looked so good, that it made Alice quite hungry to look at them—’I wish they’d get the trial done,’ she thought, ‘and hand round the refreshments!’ But there seemed to be no chance of this, so she began looking at everything about her, to pass away the time.” – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
Hello my frosted fairies. I hope you have all had a wondrous start to the month of December and are transitioning into that all important festive spirit! Today’s post is for anyone longing to be lost in the labyrinthine tangle known as Wonderland. Taking a twist on the jam tart, I have crafted sweet as can be, strawberry jam-filled butter biscuits in the shape of darling love hearts and finished with a dusting of icing sugar!
This is a perfect little delight to whip up at the beginning of the holiday period as it doesn’t require a lot of strain and bother. Nevertheless, they still go splendidly well with a cup of English Breakfast tea (comment below if you’re a dunker or not) These delectable treats remind me of Jammy Dodgers – a nostalgic favourite of mine (alongside Party Rings and Custard Creams of course…) I can’t resist making my baked goods look adorable and I think the heart shape adds something more to an otherwise ordinary biscuit.
Whether you’ve invited friends round for a catch-up or you’re in need of something for that afternoon burst of energy, these will work all the magic! There’s nothing like a childhood favourite to warm everyone’s hearts this Christmas. Now all that’s left folks is to sit back, relax with a strong brew and tuck into your little delights!
The original recipe is linked here
250g of plain flour
200g of butter
100g of icing sugar
2 free-range egg yolks
A jar of strawberry jam
- Pre-heat your oven to 170°C
- Measure out and weigh your ingredients carefully. Start by placing the flour, butter and icing sugar into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl and mix until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll the mixture out to a thickness of about 0.5cm/¼in. Cut out shapes using a heart-shaped cutter.
- Divide the biscuits in half. Using a smaller heart-shaped cutter, make a hole in the middle of half of the biscuits and discard the dough. (If you do not have a smaller heart-shaped cutter at hand, you can make a circle through half of the biscuits with a small knife.)
- Place all the biscuits on a baking tray. Bake them for 10-12 minutes, or until light golden-brown and crisp. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Using a teaspoon, place a dollop of strawberry jam on the biscuits without a hole.
- Place a biscuit (with a hole) over each whole sable biscuit.
- Finish with a magical dusting of icing sugar!
Here are a few more pictures of the end result! ♡
If you enjoyed this post, please let me know by leaving a little sprinkling of fairy dust in the comments section below! Also, if you decide to bake some strawberry jam-filled heart biscuits yourself, please tweet a picture of the result @xxsophiebeth and remember to use the hashtag ~ #frostedfairies
Happy baking my frosted fairies! ✨🍰